No matter if you want to control the growth of cancer in your body or are just looking for a healthier diet, changing from an acidic to alkaline lifestyle is essential for improved general health.
Topically, it is not possible for diseases to exist in an alkaline environment. This means that by balancing your internal pH levels, you can limit or control your susceptibility to illnesses. It also slows down the rate of free radicals and other harmful effects in the body. In fact, this is the basis of how an alkaline diet can help fight cancer.
1. Make it a point to drink as much water as possible because it is the most effective foundation of an all-alkaline diet. As alkaline blood cells hold a maximum of 20 times more oxygen than acidic cells, including 8 glasses of water to your daily food and drink consumption makes a marked difference in the amount of oxygen your cells can hold.Water ranks about 7 points on the pH scale and can oxidize and nourish cells while flushing out all the toxins emitted by acidic substances.
2. If you have been diagnosed with cancer, it is better to set short-term and long-term diet goals to chart your progress. This is essential as you need to make a dramatic shift in your pH levels to fight cancer, by making as many significant changes to your body as possible.
3. Reduce or stop consuming foods high in pH levels like coffee, artificial sweeteners, black tea, alcohol, beef and pork (as all meats are acidic to a degree), processed cheese, over-processed foods, foods containing drugs and additives, peanuts, soft drinks and white bread and rice.Also avoid all sugars and foods containing partially hydrogenated oils, which is present in practically everything from frozen foods to cheese products. It proves helpful to create a list of foods and beverages you commonly consume and find out the acidic rating of each of them.
4. This done, replace acidic foods with healthier alternatives like eating whole grains instead of white foods and drinking herb teas and vegetable juices instead of soft drinks. Consume more of raw vegetables, whole grains, yogurt, white potatoes, sweet potatoes and beans. While a vegetarian diet is considered the best option for a high-alkaline balance, you can occasionally include poached fish or organically raised meat to your diet.
5. Eat a well-balanced diet of fruits and vegetables. Some vegetables like the cruciferous variety are not only full of nutrients, but also contain cancer-fighting compounds. Examples are broccoli, cabbage, turnips, collards, kale, bok choy, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and arugula.
6. Studies performed by the National Cancer Institute a few years back mentioned that 2 out of 3 cancer specialists suggested following a 70% raw food diet while a small percentage of them preferred following a 50% raw food diet.
However all cancer experts who were consulted believed that the condition of people suffering from cancer would show a dramatic improvement just by making a change in your diet and exercise routines. This thus shows how an alkaline diet proves helpful at fighting cancer.